Since its foundation, the hospital has been on the same site, in Chatham High Street, but the original Tudor buildings were replaced by the current, Grade 2 listed, Georgian terraces in the 1790s and an extension was added in 1824; further alterations were made at the turn of the 20th century and again in the 1950s. An appeal was launched in 1982 which paid for the hospital to be completely renovated and divided into 8 flats which were re-opened, in 1984, by HM Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother and then, in 1994, the hospital was visited by HM, Queen Elizabeth II to mark its 400th anniversary. Most recently in 2007, the flats were extensively modernised.
Recent research has revealed that a certain Henry Dawkins, Veteran of TRAFALGAR 1805 was admitted to the Hospital around the 1850s. The TRAFALGAR Roll identifies Dawkins as serving at the time of the battle aboard HMS Britannia, first rate 100 guns, as an ordinary seaman and his ships book number was 501. It has also been established from records at the National Archives, that two veterans of the Battle of Copenhagen 1801 (of Nelson’s blind eye fame) were also admitted to the Hospital around the same time. Record period for these three admissions is 1855/1861. A record from 1893/4 that shows Arthur George Dickens, Chief Bosun’s Mate of 29 King Street, The Brook, Chatham as having been admitted and that he was the first cousin of one Charles Dickens, Author.